Monday, November 10, 2014

Best Discoveries of the last 12 months

I'm in the mood to make a top albums list for the year. However, I have a tendency to be a little behind-the-times in terms of music. So here are the top things I've discovered since this time last year. The first group of things have actually come out since September 2013. The rest are new discoveries of older things. In researching this, I discovered that at least three of these artists are on Jagjaguwar, and at least four are on Matador. I couldn't bring myself to rank them exactly, so each group is sorted alphabetically by artist. That way you have to listen to all of them!

From this year

Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire for No Witness
Sure, this ends up on everyone's top albums for 2014 (or will, when December rolls around), so I won't repeat everyone else's opinions here. Suffice to say, her voice is absolutely haunting. Listen



CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe
This girl sounds like she's twelve, but she can sure sing. One of many great bands from Glasgow (along with Belle and Sebastian, Mogwai, Primal Scream, and many more). Listen



Eagulls - Eagulls
Post-punk is still going strong in some parts of the world (Leeds, in this case). I first heard these guys on A.V. Undercover doing some fancy trick with a portable fan. Listen


Lady Gaga - ARTPOP
I've been meaning to write a post about why this album is better than Born This Way, but I still haven't gotten around to it. It has more edge, some nice bass lines, and a few spectacular hooks that she uses conservatively, which keep them from wearing out ("Watch me at the pool..."). Also I finally got to see her live on this tour. Listen

Moonface - Julia With Blue Jeans On
Moonface is the newest solo project of Wolf Parade (see below) singer Spencer Krug. The whole album is just him at a piano, and the piano work is absolutely astounding, and the lyrics are solid too. Listen


Typhoon - White Lighter
This is one of those baroque indie bands with dozens of instruments. I think this one has 14 members. I'm pretty sure this one got the most listens of all on this list. Listen



Discoveries

Foals - Holy Fire (2013)
I hadn't heard Foals before I stood out in the rain at Shaky Knees this summer. Everyone was cold and soaked to the bone, but everyone was too caught up in the music to notice. At one point, a tarp got dragged over the crowd and a few hundred people all danced together beneath it. I feel back in that moment again when I hear this album. "My Number" is so groovy. Listen

Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand (1994)
Okay, so I'm a decade behind on this one. If you are behind too, this is probably the greatest lo-fi album ever recorded. I got so obsessed with "Tractor Rape Chain" that I played it over and over until my hands were sore. I wonder sometimes if the low production quality hints at more than is actually there, and it is this inference that makes the songs more beautiful. Listen

Lovers - Dark Light (2010)
I'm not sure how such a good band picked such a generic name for both band and album. Anyway, they don't have a Wikipedia article, but I get the impression they are a lesbian indie rock band (in the vein of Tegan and Sara) from the west coast. I heard "Boxer" on the radio in a coffee shop and couldn't get it out of my head. Listen

Mogwai - Rock Action (2001)
This was the first Mogwai album to incorporate more electronic sounds into their music (as with their latest Rave Tapes, which gets an honorable mention below). It also has a lot more vocal parts than usual. This made it a bit divisive with the post-rockers, but in my opinion it is their best. Listen

The Radio Dept. - Clinging to a Scheme (2010)
This appeared on someone's top albums of all time list. When I gave it a listen, I realized I recognized the intro to "Heaven's on Fire" from an ad for Gold Soundz on WREK. Listen



Regina Spektor - Soviet Kitsch (2004)
So technically I heard this back around 2011. I didn't really give it a chance which I've realized was a mistake. This is now my favorite of her albums, although I suspect it is less popular with her "Samson"-loving fans. The uncharacteristic fury of "Your Honor" and the adorable intro for it really make this album, although "Poor Little Rich Boy" is likely the strongest track. Listen

Screaming Females - Ugly (2012)
I first heard this New Jersey punk band's track "Expire" on WREK and became obsessed. I can't comprehend how such fury comes from such a small person. And she can absolutely shred. If you don't believe me, check out their cover of Sheryl Crow. Listen


Sebadoh - Bakesale (1994)
I didn't realize you could get such beautiful melodies from power chords. This band is the result of Lou Barlow not getting along with J Mascis and leaving Dinosaur Jr. Some of the other albums get a little sappy but this one is well balanced. Listen


Sharon Van Etten - Tramp (2012)
I don't know what to say about this one, except that "Give Out" gets stuck in my head like mad. She had assistance from members of The National, Beirut, and Wye Oak, so it must be good. Listen



She Keeps Bees - Nests (2008)
She Keeps Bees has been described as a gender-swapped White Stripes, where she (Jessica Larrabee) is the shredding blues rocker who taught him to play the drums. She's generally compared to Sharon Van Etten and Cat Power, but I think she's more talented than both. Listen

Slowdive - Souvlaki (1993)
There is some chill, ambient stuff here, but this is probably the most extreme on the list. "Alison" starts the album off strong, and the rest keeps the pace. Listen



Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary (2005)
This was the crowning achievement of a short-lived but critically-acclaimed group which split into dozens of other bands including Sunset Rubdown, the Handsome Furs, and Moonface. Every song on this is my favorite. Listen



Yo La Tengo - Popular Songs (2009)
Apparently this band has been around and releasing albums for decades now. Classic indie formula: soft, ostinato rhythm section with experimental guitar melodies. See also: I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One and And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out. Listen

Wye Oak - Civilian (2011)
I haven't been this obsessed with an album in a very long time. I can't seem to put into words how much I love this album, except that for a few weeks I listened to it at least twice a day. See also: Shriek and If Children. Listen



Honorable Mentions

Galaxie 500 - On Fire (1989)
Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.a.a.d. city (2012)
Mogwai - Rave Tapes (2014)
The National - Trouble Will Find Me (2013)
Cat Power - You Are Free (2003)
This Frontier Needs Heroes - Hooky (2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment